Proper pronunciation aside, what exactly is a pergola?
According to Wikipedia (and slightly modified by yours truly): A pergola is a garden structure forming a shaded walk or passageway of pillars that support cross-beams and a sturdy open lattice, upon which vines can be trained.
What are pergolas used for? Here are a few ideas for you:
- Protect an open terrace from full sun by providing shade
- Create the “outdoor room” effect by providing a ceiling for your space
- Link two areas within your landscape–picture a covered walkway between a formal terrace and cutting garden for example.
- Create a covered play area for your kids
- Make your neighbors jealous
The screenshot below is a collection of pergola images curated by landscape designer Susan Cohan using Pinterest.com. Click the image to view the entire collection of pergola photographs. The variety is truly inspiring. Be prepared: You’ll waste at least 20 minutes browsing the beautiful images.